February Winner

photo contest winner February 2011 at Pix-O-Sphere

Followers

Are You New To Our Blog?

Blog Design By:

Foursons - A Great Blog to Follow :)

Foursons

Ordinary Inspirations

My Facebook link

Follow me on Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    MckMama and amazing mother/sister/wife and photographer!

    MckMama

    Blog Archive

    Thursday, April 23, 2009

    Ignoring the behavior.....

    So this is something we learn to do with our kiddos in therapy. I was lucky enough to attend a wonderful program at SARRC here in Phoenix called Jump Start. I learned all kinds of great information including to learn to ignore the behavior (not the actual child). So since learning this "technique" I have had to use it on several behavior issues I have with Matthias. The one we are working on right now is the HIGH pitched screaming for no reason.


    Lets start from the beginning, Matthias has screamed like this since he was very little. When I say say scream I don't mean like crying, I mean high pitched ear piercing SCREAM!!! The older he has gotten the worse it has become. In jump start that taught me that sometimes a child has what is called a LEARNED behavior. For example, If a child screams for no reason, and each time he does it you respond to the behavior by talking to him or sitting them time out he may just be getting what he wants.... attention. He doesn't know its the wrong kind of attention.


    So, this is what I have been doing, the other night is a great example.


    We are sitting down at the table after dinner and Matthias is sitting in the living room watching his movie and he starts to scream (pretty typical for him) we ignore the behavior and don't say anything. He continues to scream over and over and over and over again (6-7 times) and then walkes himself into the kitchen (I make no eye contact with him) and he says "Mommy, I screamed for the movie, I screamed for the movie" and I say nothing. He walks away, and goes back to the living room and watches his movie. No more screaming for the rest of the movie :), they do warn you that it will get worse before it gets better, but it will be worth it.


    At first, this was a very hard thing for me to do. When I first started doing it, I kinda felt like I was ignoring him. From the beginning of his diagnosis and first therapy session you learn to acknowledge EVERYTHING they do and reward them for it. But know at this stage in the journey I am having to change things up a bit. But the good thing is, that its working. Little by little, and over time before I know it, it will be gone :)


    One more note, I am having a terrible time trying to give Matthias his Methyl B12 shots :(. Each time I try he wakes up. We tried doing it awake and he did great the first 2 times and then I got a dull needle :( ever since then he wouldn't let me near his bottom. So had to resort to night time after he fell asleep. Same thing first 3 times were great, then he started waking up and its almost impossible to get it done :(. Matthias is a big boy so its not as easy for me to just control him and do it. Please pray that this will become easier as the shots were working great for him!


    Much love

    Lisa

    No comments:

    Matthias through autism 2006 till today

    With this video

    Press play first, then press pause, and let it load for a few moments, otherwise the video will stop to load it alot when your watching it.

    This song speaks so much to me,to know the trials I have gone through are not .. Unredeemed by Selah

    Matthias Road to Recovery - This is what Faith can do! .

    stats

    counter